Have a look through our gallery. These are some
of the horrors and faults we have found as we work. They have of
course all been made safe. Some of these faults have been found
due to something not working, others when inspecting an
installation or as part of other electrical work. If any of these
pictures look familiar then please give us a call!.
All these examples are unsafe and dangerous,
could either cause fires, electric shock, or both. With
electricity, just because something is working, it does not mean
it is safe!
click on the image to load full picture in new window
||Wiring for a back boiler. Cables have melted together with
the clips in the insulated pipe box which gets hot.
|This is the junction box for a
toilet light and outside light. The gold coloured cable is
stranded speaker wire. It may have worked, but it has been tested
for audio not electrical use! Also no sleeving on the earth
||This socket is mounted upside down in a cupboard,and is a
spur which isn't ideal. The cable coming out of it feeds the
garage. This means we have a spur on a spur, and great potential
for overloading the wiring.
|These MCB's supplied a garage. The live connecting bar was never fitted into the mcb correctly causing arcing and the trip to melt due to the poor contact.
||This cable supplied a washing machine and tumble dryer – a high electrical load. The cable was installed in a cavity wall, which at a later date was insulated with polystyrene beads. This led to local over heating of the cable and has melted the beads around it. The plasticiser in the polystyrene also reacts with the cable insulation causing brittleness and degradation of its electrical insulation properties.
|This proves the old adage 'loose wires cause fires'. Bad connections and a heavily loaded circuit caused this fuse carrier to burn away. Also notice the melting of the insulation of the cables.
|These cables were running between the boiler circulation pipes. These pipes can get up to 80degC in some houses. If the insulation had degraded more the could be a very big bang!|
|Perched between these two trips is a small nail. It is shorting the trips together which could cause serious problems if a fault occurred on either circuit. One example why we are fussy about holes in electrical equipment and installations.|
|Another example of poor connections on a high load circuit (the cooker). The heat from the arcing has damaged the trip, the adjoining trip, and the cables in the adjoining trip.|
RNM is a recognised Part P approved installer registered through Elecsa